Sevilla FC is the oldest football club in Seville, founded in the year 1890. A private cultural and sports association was established on 25 January that year. The club was officially registered on 14 October 1905 to make changes to the law.
Sevilla FC has been the most successful club in Andalusia with 73 seasons and 13 national and international titles in the first season: a La Liga title (45/46), five Spanish Cups (35, 39, 48, 2007 and 2010). , Six Europa League titles (2006, 2007, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2020), a European Super Cup (2006), and a Spanish Super Cup (2007). Additionally, the club dominated the Andalusian Cup, an official tournament held from 1915 to 1940, winning 18 of the 21 editions.
UEL – UEFA Europa League[2019-20]
UEL is the second-tier competition of European Football where eligible teams from Europe’s leagues compete for the ultimate trophy. Spanish clubs have the highest number of victories (12 wins), followed by England and Italy (9 wins each). The title has been won by 28 clubs, 13 of which have won it more than once. The most successful club in the competition is Sevilla, with six titles. Sevilla are also the current champions, beating Inter Milan 3–2 in the 2020 final.
Sevilla F.C vs Internazionale
This 2019-2020 season’s finale was played between Sevilla FC and Inter Milan. This was the first time since 2015 that the finalists are facing against each other. The match kicked off at 12.30am IST and the starting 10 minutes proved the viewers why both these teams were playing in the finals.
- FC Barcelona’s New Coach Ronald Koeman might win them trophies in 2021!!
- Dream 11 bags Title Sponsorship for IPL 13 for a whopping 235 crores!
- A complete guide for UCL (2019-20) you would love to read!
Sevilla came from behind against Manchester United in their semifinal clash. The same format was followed by them as Lukaku scored a penalty to make it 1-0. All of the 5 goals were from a set-piece that is to be highlighted.
Luuk De Jong Masterclass
The 29-year-old Holland international was up to the mark as he provided Sevilla FC their equalizer in the 12th minute. The Dutchman also scored Sevilla’s winner against ManU. At the half-hour mark, it was De Jong again who scored yet another stunning header but this time from the far post, giving Handanovic, the Inter Milan goalkeeper, a very little chance. The Julen Lopetegui led side along with De Jong’s masterclass went ahead Milan.
Diego Godin’s equaliser
Former Athletico Madrid player, who has faced Sevilla FC many times, came to Inter’s rescue at the 35th minute. It was once again a freekick and Godin arrived at the far post for a close-range header making Inter Milan equalize 2-2. After a 2 minute extra time, the match was given a halt by the referee.
Costly Mistake by Lukaku
As the second half started, both teams were looking to strike the winner. The second half was more aggressive than the first with all of them firing. Real Madrid loanee Sergio Reguillon ran directly at Diego Godin but side-netted at the 57th minute. 15 minutes later, Sevilla FC were given a freekick. They made use of this opportunity and a wonderful cross with a much beautiful overhead kick from Diego Carlos, who was the reason for Inter’s first goal, was missing the angle he expected.
The saying ‘ Karma is a boomerang’ came true as the shot off target from Carlos, went inside the net, by a costly deflection from Inter’s star Romelu Lukaku. The first penalty shouldn’t have been given, considering the early block from Lukaku but it was given and Inter were leading. The final goal of the match also involved both these players but the other way round this time. A mistake from Lukaku and a goal from Carlos.
Even though there was pressing, pushing and aggression from Antonio Conte coached Inter Milan side nothing went their way as Sevilla FC were named champions for the 6th time as the match ended 3-2.
- Sevilla FC have won the UEFA Cup / Europa League six times – more than any other team in the history of the competition.
- Inter have lost in the European finals for the first time since the 1997 UEFA Cup when they were outscored by FC Schalke 04 as the match went on to penalties.
- Since 2009/10, the Europa League has been won by the Spanish manager in six finals out of 11 (Unai Emery, Quick Sánchez Florez, Rafael Benitez, Julan Lopetegui).
- Sevilla FC have either progressed to the next round or won the competition in 21 of their 22 Europa League knockout ties.
- Romelu Lukaku scored 34 goals in all competitions for Inter in 2019/20, an Inter player scoring the most runs in his debut season since Ronaldo’s 34 in 1997/98.
- Inter defender Diego Godin became the sixth player to appear in the finals of a European Cup / Champions League and UEFA Cup / Europa League, followed by Steven Gerrard, Hernan Crespo, Dmitry Alenichev, Allan Simonsen, and Pedro.
- Romelu Lukaku’s goal in the fifth minute for Inter was the fastest in a UEFA Cup / Europa League final since 2001 when Liverpool’s Marcus Babel scored in the third minute against Alaves.
- Sevilla’s Diego Carlos conceded three penalties in the 2019/20 Europa League, the first player to concede that many in a single campaign since César Azpilicueta in 2012/13 for Chelsea.